File(s) not publicly available

Simulation and optimization of solar desalination plant using Aspen Plus simulation software

journal contribution
posted on 06.12.2017, 00:00 by Mojibul SajjadMojibul Sajjad, Mohammad RasulMohammad Rasul
Of the total global water, 94% is salt water from the oceans and the remaining 6% is fresh. The shortage of fresh water is a problem that has continued to challenge third world countries, and over time has become increasingly evident in developed nations around the globe. With a combination of contributing issues such as overpopulation and changes in weather and climatic conditions, the demand for alternate approaches to fresh potable water supply has increased dramatically. The paper develops a computational model to simulate the performance of a small scale solar desalination plant. The model is validated with experimental results found in the literature. The validated model is used to optimize the functional parameters of a desalination plant and in turn, enhance the recovery rate and product quality of the system. The model is suitable for brackish and seawater desalting applications specific to the climatic conditions of coastal Queensland, Australia. Aspen Plus is the process simulation software that was used for the modelling. The outcomes of the study is a validated process simulation model of a small scale solar desalination plant, optimization of this model for better utilization of current technologies and methods of improving performance, efficiency and recovery and reducing operational limitations.

History

Volume

105

Start Page

739

End Page

750

Number of Pages

12

ISSN

1877-7058

Location

Netherlands

Publisher

Elsevier

Language

en-aus

Peer Reviewed

Yes

Open Access

No

External Author Affiliations

School of Engineering and Technology (2013- ); TBA Research Institute;

Era Eligible

Yes

Journal

Procedia engineering.