Bunce, A, Scheffers, S & Alquezar, R 2008, 'The Extent of previously unknown coral communities in the Burnett-Mary Region (Southeast Queensland)', Centre for Environmental Management, Central Queensland University, Gladstone, Qld, http://hdl.cqu.edu.au/10018/57994
Please use this identifier to link to the item: http://hdl.cqu.edu.au/10018/57994
- The extent of previously unknown coral communities in the Burnett-Mary Region (Southeast Queensland)
- Bunce, Ashley.
- Scheffers, Sander.
- Alquezar, Ralph.
- Resource Type
- Research report
- The Burnett Mary region is located along the southern Queensland coast and supports a broad range of benthic reef communities. This region is positioned within a biogeographical overlap zone, containing a unique assemblage of tropical, subtropical and possibly temperate species near their latitudinal limits. These marine communities are subject to a range of natural and anthropogenic disturbances occurring at a variety of temporal and spatial scales. The aim of this study is to assess the extent of benthic communities in the region as a baseline against which future changes can be monitored. The photo transect and remote sensing technique employed to survey these benthic communities occurred during 2008/2009. Soft corals were the dominant benthos with Lobophyton spp the most numerous. Scleractinean corals were represented by Acropora spp. and Pocillopora damicornis, a moderate to low cover of Goniopora spp., Montipora spp. and Turbinaria spp. were also recorded at most of the survey sites. The long-term monitoring of these benthic communities is essential to improve our understanding of the temporal variations occurring within this region and on broader spatial scales, as well as to assess the effects of natural and anthropogenic disturbances. This information can in turn, be used to develop more effective management strategies that will attempt to mitigate long-term damage to these benthic reef communities.
- By submitting a Work to ACQUIRE the author(s) grant(s) to Central Queensland University permission to publish the Work under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs Licence.
- ACQUIRE [electronic resource] : Central Queensland University Institutional Repository.
|View published version online
||Adobe Acrobat PDF
- 960503 Ecosystem Assessment and Management of Coastal and Estuarine Environments.
- 060205 Marine and Estuarine Ecology (incl. Marine Ichthyology)
- 060808 Invertebrate Biology.
- 039901 Environmental Chemistry (incl. Atmospheric Chemistry)
- Marine ecology.
- Invertebrate communities.
- Coastal ecology.
- Reef communities -- Corals -- Benthic structure -- Extent
- Research report